Logo

Mercury 20hp EFI

docjones

What year did mercury come out with the 20hp EFI motor? Is a brand new 2017 Mercury 20hp purchased before 03/31/2019 still going to get the complete 5 year warranty that is offered on their new motors? In what year did Mercury add the new and genius tiller system? Does Tohatsu make the Mercury 20hp? Thanks for any and all help. I'm going to buy one or another of the above motors in the next ten days unless somebody talks me out of it. Tom

The Merc 20 is Tohatsu. But since 2013, Honda makes the Tohatsus of 60 hp and up. Tohatsu and Honda have shared parts, engineering, and many other ideas for many, many years. Your new Tohatsu/Merc is the good choice, but a straight Tohatsu will be less expensive. For instance. I'm considering a new 90 Tohatsu for my boat, instead of a Merc. The savings will be almost 2000 bucks. I have always loved and had excellent service from ANY Honda product.

Thanks for that reply timguy but I still need the rest of that information I was looking for. I can get a great deal on a brand new 2017 Merc 20hp but if it doesn't have EFI or that 5 year warranty or that new tiller handle anyone of those might be a deal breaker. Onlineoutboards.com has both motors but the Tohatsu price has just gone up within the past week so the Merc looks a little better. Anyone know anymore than what has already been told.

I just got off the phone with Mercury Outboards. (should have call them first, who knew) The 20hp EFI was introduced in 2018 along with the smart tiller. A brand new 2017 motor is not covered under the current 5 year warranty. It only has a 3 year warranty. I'll spend the extra $800.00 to get the new great stuff.

Back