Logo

Mercury 2006 2 Stroke - difficult to start

Elecmuso

G'day all - new around here.

Here's a summary of my motor problem - hope someone can throw some light on it!

1. Motor is a 2 stroke 30hp Mercury, 2006, electric start
2. Motor was serviced 4 months ago (just after I bought it) and a couple of issues were resolved (new impeller). I was told that essentially the motor was a good one.
3. The motor starts from cold after some persistent cranking. But way more cranking (say 6 tries of 30 seconds per try)
4. Once it is started it can be started very easily. Is like this until I leave it overnight when it is back to cold and hard to start.
5. Battery is fine.

I've tried pretty much everything I can think of, short of checking the timing. For the record I've tried the following:
Checking spark
New plugs
Fresh 91 fuel that is Ethanol free (after realising I'd been using a 10% Ethanol blend)
Fresh 95 fuel (it didn't want to start AT ALL so I used a starter fluid to get it going)
Cleaning the carby with carburetor cleaner
Testing the fuel pump and checkingn the internal diaphrams
Checking the fuel filter
Raising the tank (as per a suggestion for Mariner motor thread here)

Is timing a possibility? Is it something a novice can check without too much difficulty (have a timing light)?

Last edited:
I believe that motor uses an enrichener system that sprays fuel into the motor when you hit the "choke". If so, disconnect the hose from the enrichener valve, pump up the bulb, and see if gas shoots out when you hit the "choke".

Jeff

I can see how that would fit the symptoms but I don't think it does have that feature. My fault because I should have pointed out this is actually a Tohatsu rebadged as a mercury. Thanks anyway!

Could the boat being parked on a slight angle have anything to do with it?
No the angle means nothing. Unless that motor is fuel injected you need to find the choke/enriched and use it. Or go to the dealer and have them show you how to start your motor. What is your starting procedure step by step?

No the angle means nothing. Unless that motor is fuel injected you need to find the choke/enriched and use it. Or go to the dealer and have them show you how to start your motor. What is your starting procedure step by step?

It is not fuel injected and has the press key -> activate choke mechanism. And I have checked that and it is working.
Procedure is as follows:
1. Connect battery (often it has just been recharged)
2. Connect ears and start water flow
3. Connect fuel line on tank to engine inlet
4. Pump bulb until firm (around 2 squeezes)
5. Put throttle lever on forward controls to 2/3rds maximum
6. Turn key while pushing inwards (choke activated) until it fires (lately this is up to a minute)
7. Engine usually stops at this point so I turn the key again but this time not activate choke by pressing the key inwards. Engine usually starts after a bit of splutter and a little smoke.
8. After about 30 seconds reduce throttle back to minimum and it idles OK, perhaps a little rough.

Regarding the angle comment, I happened to move the boat onto a horizontal floor (previously it was in driveway which is at a slight angle) and this morning after 3 days at rest in that horizontal position it started from cold within 5 seconds and settled into a nice idle. It seemed a long shot but the angle was the only difference I could come up with (apart from the fact it had been not run for nearly 3 days - that may be significant).

It is not fuel injected and has the press key -> activate choke mechanism. And I have checked that and it is working.
Procedure is as follows:
1. Connect battery (often it has just been recharged)
2. Connect ears and start water flow
3. Connect fuel line on tank to engine inlet
4. Pump bulb until firm (around 2 squeezes)
5. Put throttle lever on forward controls to 2/3rds maximum
6. Turn key while pushing inwards (choke activated) until it fires (lately this is up to a minute)
7. Engine usually stops at this point so I turn the key again but this time not activate choke by pressing the key inwards. Engine usually starts after a bit of splutter and a little smoke.
8. After about 30 seconds reduce throttle back to minimum and it idles OK, perhaps a little rough.

Regarding the angle comment, I happened to move the boat onto a horizontal floor (previously it was in driveway which is at a slight angle) and this morning after 3 days at rest in that horizontal position it started from cold within 5 seconds and settled into a nice idle. It seemed a long shot but the angle was the only difference I could come up with (apart from the fact it had been not run for nearly 3 days - that may be significant).
I would double check the choke/primer and make sure it is working.

It is not fuel injected and has the press key -> activate choke mechanism. And I have checked that and it is working.<br>
Procedure is as follows:<br>
1. Connect battery (often it has just been recharged)<br>
2. Connect ears and start water flow<br>
3. Connect fuel line on tank to engine inlet<br>
4. Pump bulb until firm (around 2 squeezes)<br>
5. Put throttle lever on forward controls to 2/3rds maximum<br>
6. Turn key while pushing inwards (choke activated) until it fires (lately this is up to a minute)<br>
7. Engine usually stops at this point so I turn the key again but this time not activate choke by pressing the key inwards. Engine usually starts after a bit of splutter and a little smoke.<br>
8. After about 30 seconds reduce throttle back to minimum and it idles OK, perhaps a little rough.<br>
<br>
<br>
I would double check the choke/primer and make sure it is working.

Back