Logo

Mercury, 2006 115ELPT4S, Ser # 1B357696 Oil Dumped

Lavern

After removing the lower unit to change the impeller, I re-installed the lower unit. While installing the LU, it didn't quite push up all the way until I wrenched it up with a small cluck and then lined up. It still would not got into reverse so I fully removed the LU again. While my wife was trying to put it into reverse, I pulled down on the Shift Shaft and it came down approx 3/4". Once this happened, my freshly change engine oil fully dumped all over my garage floor.
I cannot find anyone else that has posted this issue. When ever could have caused this and should I be changing all the upper seals for the oil pump now ?
This is a 115 HP EFI, 4 Stroke Motor.

Well you are not going to want to hear this..... If you forced the lower unit back on and did not line the splines up for the oil pump....You wrecked the oil pump. Time to pull the power head.

Below is a picture of the top of your drive shaft that goes up into the power head. The top section of splines engages the crank shaft, the lower engages the oil pump... When reinstalling this lower you have to rotate the crank shaft until the lower slides all the way in... Pulling it up with the attaching hardware when the oil pump splines are not aligned will break the pump.

shaft.png

Well you are not going to want to hear this..... If you forced the lower unit back on and did not line the splines up for the oil pump....You wrecked the oil pump. Time to pull the power head.

Below is a picture of the top of your drive shaft that goes up into the power head. The top section of splines engages the crank shaft, the lower engages the oil pump... When reinstalling this lower you have to rotate the crank shaft until the lower slides all the way in... Pulling it up with the attaching hardware when the oil pump splines are not aligned will break the pump.

View attachment 27634

Bingo !! Unfortunately you were both correct. I took it in today to find out this is going to be a $2000.00 ooops on my part. Sure enough, hole through the oil pan.%$#$% !! WARNING... do not ever force anything on these motors. Thank you to anyone who helped with this info.

After removing the lower unit to change the impeller, I re-installed the lower unit. While installing the LU, it didn't quite push up all the way until I wrenched it up with a small cluck and then lined up. It still would not got into reverse so I fully removed the LU again. While my wife was trying to put it into reverse, I pulled down on the Shift Shaft and it came down approx 3/4". Once this happened, my freshly change engine oil fully dumped all over my garage floor.
I cannot find anyone else that has posted this issue. When ever could have caused this and should I be changing all the upper seals for the oil pump now ?
This is a 115 HP EFI, 4 Stroke Motor.
maybe there is a problem at the shift rode look at it ,, it's most likely prefferable if you hand it to a experienced mechanic

Back