Logo

Mercury 2005 50 Hp problems

dontno4sure

I am the third owner of a 2005 Mercury 50 Hp ELPTO outboard Serial # OT982083. Last time I used the boat the engine didn’t have enough power to load on the trailer. This engine is only running on cylinder # 1 number 2 and 3 is getting spark, the compression on all cylinders is 89 lbs. Things I have done to the engine, rebuilt fuel pump was having problem with air bubbles so replaced with new one, replaced spark plugs, teardown and cleaned carbs (twice), installed new trigger and voltage regulator, replaced reeds, remove carbs again checked reeds all are pulling air in ,repaired air leak from onboard fuel tank, replaced water pump ( not related to engine problem just info) marked TDC of all pistons and checked with timing light all firing at TDC, switched number 1 and 2 CDM number 1 cylinder fired with mumber 2 CDM, can’t get RPM below 1800, engine starts and runs on the one cylinder, easy to start will start cold in just a few turns. Is is possibly that 2 and 3 won’t run because of compression even tho number 1 runs fine.

Back