Logo

Mercury 20 HP

ron

" I have a Mercury 20 HP Ser #

" I have a Mercury 20 HP Ser # 2336559. Does anyone know what year this is? It does not want to idle and sputers at speed. The local dealer said points are not available for this motor anymore, so I had to order them at NAPA for $38. I have a new fuel pump kit and new carb kit to install yet. Can anyone tell me the float level? Also, I can't see the reeds. How can I test them?
Thanks
Ron "

"Tom is correct on the year. T

"Tom is correct on the year. To set you float level correctly, invert the top cap with the needle and seay assy, make sure the top lever is level with the base of the cap. Then flip the cap over, there should be a 1/4 gap between the two levers. Bend the tabs as required to achieve those settings. Set your base idle mixture screw setting at 1 1/2 turns out from lightly seated and adjust in water, in gear, as required. Kind of hard to ck reeds though, as they are attached to the crankshaft. You will know if they are bad, if when the motor is running, you see fuel spitting back out the carb. It would be a good idea to replace the water pump impeller while you are at it.

Daren

"

Thanks Guys. I have a new imp

Thanks Guys. I have a new impeller to install also. One last question. Does this motor have a thermostat? Is it serviceable?
Ron

Have everything replaced now.

Have everything replaced now. Carb was very dirty! Runs fine at speed but now fouls one plug at idle. Any ideas?

Thanks

Ron

" We have problems with an anc

" We have problems with an ancient 15hp Mariner Outboard, about 1987,(questionable).
What possible cause and remedies are there for a motor that won't start, we think it is a problem with the carburettor, couple of pulls and it floods, dry it out then give it another couple of pulls fires and stops.

Thanks Sid in NZ "

" Sorry Ron.
New to this, sen

" Sorry Ron.
New to this, sent message to wrong place.
Sid "

Back