Logo

MERCURY 1967 20 HP ELECTRIC START

B

BRUCE R.

Looking to upgrade my 1967 mer

Looking to upgrade my 1967 mercury 200 20hp to
an electric start set-up. Does anybody know what this entails and where to find the parts?

"Bruce, that particular model

"Bruce, that particular model was never produced in an electric start version.

That means that the flywheel does not have teeth and there is no direct replacement that does.

You could maybe "jury rig" something up but that would take a bit of "try and see if it will work".

If you could cobble something together it could still well end up costing you around 500 bucks (about the average cost to convert manual to electric).

With this model there is just not an easy way to do it.."

"Graham, I do have an electric

"Graham, I do have an electric start flywheel from a 69 model (122 tooth?)and think it will fit my 67. Do you know of any places that carry electric/starter parts for these old motors?Thanks."

"If the flywheel will work tha

"If the flywheel will work that's kinda half the battle.

However, the starter that would turn that (merc part 50-76275) hasn't been available for a very long time and I can not find any cross reference to it from any of the aftermarket guys.

Get ahold of the guys at www.oldmercs.com they may have a solution.

Aside from the starter you would only need a solenoid (and you could use a modern Merc solenoid - about 30 bucks) a harness and key or starter switch. If you can find a starter that will mount and turn the flywheel, the rest of the components do not need to be "original".

It wouldn't give the capability to have the motor recharge the battery itself, but if only used for starting they actually last quite a while before requiring a charge.

My 59 Gale 40 horse has no charging capacity and when we used to run it, simply brought along a 6 amp automotive charger and plugged her in at dockside or when it was on the trailer to bring the battery back up."

Back