Logo

Mercury 15hp 2stroke 2000 water pump leak

Fuscus

Hi everyone,
Today I replaced my whole water pump because I realised the water jet was hot. After replacing it and before reinstall the leg to the motor I tried using a drill attached to the shaft to test the water pump. Well, there's water coming out of the right pipe but the water comes out around the shaft too.
As I said, I replaced the whole kit so I don't know what could have gone wrong.

If you have any idea please let me know.

There should be a thick foam or rubber washer that slides down the driveshaft on to the top of the waterpump housing to minimize any water spiraling up the driveshaft when pumping water, should be in your kit.

The pee hole discharge is piped from the thermostat. When the thermostat opens the warm water discharge flows and slows down as the thermostat opens and closes. The water can go from hot to warm and flow decrease and increase depending on engine RPM and conditions. IT"S NORMAL!!

The pee hole discharge is piped from the thermostat. When the thermostat opens the warm water discharge flows and slows down as the thermostat opens and closes. The water can go from hot to warm and flow decrease and increase depending on engine RPM and conditions. IT"S NORMAL!!

Okay. Now I know, but that doesn't change the fact that it's now leaking

Okay. Now I know, but that doesn't change the fact that it's now leaking

Yes it does have both washers. My concern at the moment is the leak, and the thermostat isn't involved in that.
Are the washers new? Did you use an OEM kit or cheap chineseum aftermarket kit? What happens if you put the original impeller back in? Since the thermostat was probably the original problem you may want to fix it.

Last edited:
Yes it does have both washers. My concern at the moment is the leak, and the thermostat isn't involved in that.
Are the washers new? Did you use an OEM kit or cheap chineseum aftermarket kit? What happens if you put the original impeller back in? Since the thermostat was probably the original problem you may want to fix it.

This is the kit I used: https://outboardparts.com.au/search?q=46-42089a5*
I'm going to try to put the old propeller back in.
Should the shaft be sealed through the impeller rubber + plastic washer or through the rubber insert on the pump housing? Because the rubber insert on the housing isn't thight to the shaft at all.

Hi everyone,
Someone told me today that the water pump isn't meant to be completely sealed. It's normal to loose some water through the shaft. What do you guys think about it?

Back