Logo

Mercury 150 Black Max REBUILD

gimmegreens336

Hey yall I'm gimmegreens, live in Reidsville, NC and have a project I'd like to do!

First, I'm a regular 6x6world forum member and I have a massive respect for these forums. I wouldn't have half the success maintaining my amphibious ATV without the collective wisdom of the boards. I truly appreciate any and all help!!

Alright - so... My best friend bought a boat maybe 6 months ago. I'm not sure if the boat is called a "Black Max" or the motor? I do know it's a 150 Mercury 2-stroke. The long of the short is that it threw a rod completely through the top end. There is a literal hole in the top.

Now we plan on restoring her to running condition.

We are amateur mechanics and can generally find our way around a motor.

I wanted to go ahead and join marineengine and start the thread. I do understand the value of pictures and this thread will be picture heavy. We generally have a few evening hours 3 or 4 times a week to work on her. I'm going to try and motivate him to get the motor into the garage this weekend. When we move it I'll update with specifics on the motor.

Thanks so much for reading and I appreciate the open forum.

:cool:

So I had this idea in my head that we were going to remove some bolts and hand-lift the motor onto a pickup bed. After speaking to him and reading a little, it looks like the estimated weight for this motor is 375 lbs? I need to hit the weight bench. lol

BlackMax was the (model) of the motor.

Depending on the year and exact model you could be dealing with a 2.0L, 2.4L or 2.5L block. All had their good/bad points.

You could wrestle the motor into the back of a pick-up if you both eat "wheaties" for breakfast, but it definately would be easier with a hoist or even a come-along and a ad hoc tripod.

Before you get too far along in your planning you might want to price out parts.

If you have to replace one of the heads/covers, and can not find them used, count on dropping 500 bucks for that at a Merc dealer.

Next, if you are going to tear her all down, at minimum you will have to contend with the bad cylinder but should at least hone out the others - count on 50 bucks a hole at a machine shop (times 6 holes whether they are bored or honed).

If more than three require boring you may as well go for a "rebuild kit" - pistons, rings, gaskets, bearings (1000 to 1300 bucks depending on which block it has) add rods at $300 "each"-

And since it threw a rod you have to figure that (probably) it lacked oil on that one cylinder (maybe more) which can usually be traced back to the carbs (on carb models). If this is a carb model count on 3 carb kits at about 100 bucks a pop.

Not trying to scare you here, but do your research. You could spend 3-4K and end up with a "like new" motor or you may still find further issues...

Depending on the damage it may not be possible to salvage the block .if water jacket internally was punched or at parting lines its junk.....

Hey! Sorry for the delay... It is a Black Max 150 VR4.

I appreciate all the information regarding a rebuild galamb. It truly may not be worth the money! I will pass the information along and see what we decide. I have an idea that we'll go forward with it. We like to piddle, build, tinker, etc - so we may proceed just for the learning experience. Thank you so much for taking the time to post!

I'm not sure if it's junked or not yet faztbullet. Maybe after you see these (crap) pics you'll be able to tell me!

I'm still unsure of the engine displacement. The boat title says 1991 so I guess we assume it's a '91 motor? I am typing as I'm thinking so I will do more research to find out specifics on the motor once this post is finished.

Also, the oil res was bypassed. He was premixing oil and gas... He only owned the boat for a few months before it blew. The previous owner had done the bypass and instructed him to pre-mix.. I'm sure some of you are gritting your teeth at that. It wasn't me, it was him. lol

So anyway, here are a few shots.

photo_26_.JPG
photo_27_.JPG
photo_24_.JPG
photo_28_.JPG
Bypassed oil:
photo_25_.JPG
Since we didn't eat our Wheaties:
photo_29_.JPG

The quality of pictures is awful, I'm sorry. It was late and lighting was awful. It may still be a little while until we actually have the motor in the garage. I thank yall SO MUCH for the help!!

When you wipe a way a bit more of the grime you will find that it's an XR4 (vice VR).

That means it should have the 2.4L block - favoured by guys who hop up the engines for racing.

The production number (serial) makes it a 1991 model.

Anyhow, as suggested you will still have to tear it down but from that pic it looks like the damage (fortunately - if an oooops is fortunate) is on the head itself.

If that's the extent of the "major" damage (I don't count pistons, rings, bearings as major - they (naturally) wear out over time), I would personally consider that motor "quite rebuildable".

I'm not fussy about the 150's on the 2.0L block (not enough displacement for a 150 without excess stress on the parts), but the 2.4L (about 146 cubes) is almost ideally suited to produce 150 horses...

Back