Logo

Mercury 135HP Poor Pee Stream

mill686

Regular Contributor
My friend mentioned that his Mercury 135 was pumping water very weakly. He purchased a new water pump kit. We dropped the lower unit and removed the older pump and impeller. The impeller still looked pretty good to me, but we replaced it anyway. This seemed to make no difference and the stream remains weak at best. All hoses from the thermostats to the "pee hole" are clear and good. Thermostats operate properly. We were running it on muffs and when increasing rpm's, seemed like the pump was running away from the water. We dropped her in the creek with no change noted. What else?

from personal experience i installed a water pump kit with gaskets and followed the illustrations without closely paying attention to the impeller housing and installed the gaskets upside down (the direction the diagram showed) so the holes in the gasket for the water pipe didn't line up and i didnt get any water. i doubt that is your case.

the impeller i had replaced actually shredded into quite a few pieces which were stuck in the impeller base and housing which i pulled out with a pick. so if you are really concerned i would maybe check that, i think mercury does have different high pressure and high volume pump setups.

best of luck

Back