Logo

Mercury 115HP 4-stroke EFI Idle Problems

BTBT

Hi folks. I am brand new here and searching for a bit of help. I can't get an appointment at my Mercury shop for 4 weeks and I have a fishing trip next week.

2009-2010 era Merc 4-stroke EFI
New Air Filter, New plugs, New Fuel Filters, Oil Change

At idle the motor dies. Coughs sputters and dies and sounds like a small motor does when its warm and you pull the choke. At any throttle level above idle it runs like a champ. It will start with top cowl on, but wont idle for even 1 minute before dying.

• Pull the top cowl and it idles perfectly for as long as I want. Put the top cowl back on and it sputters and dies.
  • Have checked wiring harness and fuel/air/vacuum lines. No impingement when top cowl is on.
  • Pulled top cowl apart to confirm no blockage in air supply through cowl.
  • Put in new IAC Valve. Same problem persists
  • With top cowl off, I start the motor and it idles perfectly. I put the cowl on and it starts to sputter within seconds. If I lift the cowl up even a couple of inches it starts running great again.
  • If I put the cowl on and it starts to sputter and die I can gently blow air into the holes on the top back of the cowl with my electric leaf blower and then it runs perfectly.
  • I tried it again with the air filter off the throttle body. It runs fine without the cowl. I put the cowl on and it starts to sputter and idles very roughly but does idle.
It just does seem like it is getting quite enough air at idle, or perhaps it is getting too much fuel at idle. I am at a complete loss of what to check next.

Anybody have any ideas?

Back