Logo

Mercury 115 EFI low oil pressure

dexter

I have a 2005 Mercury 115 EFI

I have a 2005 Mercury 115 EFI 4-stroke outboard. I had an oil filter problem and as a result lost my oil and I didn't know until it was too late. The local repair shop tested it and now I have low oil pressure (about 4 psi) and they have told me it is not worth repairing. Can this be true?! It ran maybe 10 minutes at 1/4 speed before I realized I had a problem. Can it be rebuilt? It currently starts and sounds fine while idling but cuts out if any throttle is applied. Low oil sensor goes off immediately when started. No engine smoking. Any insight appreciated.

"It sounds like it could be fi

"It sounds like it could be fixed with a new oil pump. Merc did have a problem with that. There was a Service Bulletin about this on eariler units.
Is it worth it? I would be if the engine did not sustain any damage. The alarm appears to have done its job. The cost of a powerhead job may not be worth it. Even on a 3 year old engine. The whole unit may cost about the same to replace. It is only a 115. I know it seems like a waste.
If you do go new, I would take out a long warrenty just in case this happens again.

The motor that you have is a Yam-Merc hybrid. I never cared for it. The new one will be a better Merc Made unit. (Verado block without the S/C."

Thanks for the info and your i

Thanks for the info and your insight. I think I will try to replace the oil pump and see if it corrects the problem. Seems worth the try. If that doesn't do it then I guess I part it out. Seems like a shame.

Back