Logo

Mercury 115 died

madhawk

"hi i have a 86 Glastron Carls

"hi i have a 86 Glastron Carlson CVX16 with what i am guessing is a 86 115 Mercury inline 6. I just got the boat yesterday and took it to the gorge to try to give it a shot. Well i got it there and put it in the water took a minute to get it to start. Once I did, the boat seemed to run great ran it for 5 minutes or so. Then headed for shore to pick up a couple of people to go for a ride. Once i shut it down and tried to start it back up I couldn't get it to fire back off. The bottom carb looked like it was flooding out. We pulled the plugs and they were a bit wet. Dried them and blew the cylinders out. Still no joy. So I called the guy I bought it from and asked him if he had any troubles with it. He said it ran fine for him, but what he forgot to tell me he had winterized the boat. I am thinking that he must have put a ton of Stabil or something in it when he did. I drained the tank and put new gas in today. Also i bought the boat in Salt Lake area and then brought it back to WY where our elevation is about 7000 feet or so. So I am wondering if i should even try taking it back to the Gorge or should I have new jets put in for this area or should it make a diff enough to matter. I am thinking that the fuel must have been bad because it ran like a scaled monkey when I did have it going. It was just when I shut it down to come into shore that I had problems. Thoughts or suggestions would be great."

"My 150 has a similar problem.

"My 150 has a similar problem. Worked it out that when i tilted the engine up when i got to shore and leave it, the fuel would drain out of the carbs.

All i do is push boat out far enough to lower engine right down, pump the fuel bulb until hard and she will fire up first shot."

Back