Logo

Mercury 110 - removing flywheel - weird problem.

Mopedman

Merry Christmas Everyone.

my problem for today is completely removing the flywheel on my old rusted Mercury 110 9.8 hp motor. I used a puller with a 5/8” bolt that allowed me to pull the fly wheel out as far as it will go till it touched the 5/8” bolt. The problem is the crank shaft bolt is only 1/2” and the two bolts are interfering with each other. But it did not break it free so I still need to pull it further off the crank shaft. I tried banging on it with a hammer and prying with a crow bar but it did not budge. I also thought about reducing the size of the 5/8” bolt down to say 1/4 “. Any thought would be appreciated.

stay Warm on a cold night. Jack the Moped Man

Racerone:

yes this is the typical 3 bolt puller. The top of flywheel moves up level with the crankshaft bolt but will not move off because the two bolts ie. (5/8” puller and 1/2” crank) interfer with each other.

jack

I managed to get the flywheel mostly off the shaft but it is sticking on something under it. You are correct it is probably the stator coils. If it is the coils any suggestions on how to remove it without ruing the stator. Thanks. Jack

Racerone:

I managed to get the flywheel off. Between flywheel and stator was load with mouse junk and other debris. The stator did get beat up a lot during the removal process and I do not know if it is salvageable.

Question: How is the stator removed.

have a great Christmas and stay warm.. jack

Back