Logo

Mercrusier will not turn over any thoughts or suggestions?

Hello, I hope you all can give me some advise and direction on a problem that has occurred. You all were great when I first got the boat. I*have a 2000 Sea Ray 5.0L MCM Mercrusier with a carb and a Alpha one Gen II stern drive that has been dormant for two years. My home has been under construction and the boat was stored off site for the time. When I got it back last week, I could see that rain water had accumulated in the engine compartment and the drain had clogged from debris. I assume some of the lower engine and probably the starter was in the water for a time.

So when I went to recommission and start the boat it will not. I hear a one loud single click from the starter whenever I turn the key*but it will not turn over. I believe the batteries are fully charged and it does not sound like the clicking you would hear from a weak battery. The starter felt hot after multiple attempts at starting it.

So what is everyones thoughts? Could the starter by frozen in place? Could the engine be frozen? Unfortunately the down side of this boat setup is engine access. I can* just reach the starter much less examine it with any detail. What can I do to diagnose the problem. Any way to loosen a stuck starter?

Thanks in advance for everyones thoughts and suggestions!!!! Ike

So what is everyones thoughts? Could the starter by frozen in place? Could the engine be frozen? Unfortunately the down side of this boat setup is engine access. I can* just reach the starter much less examine it with any detail. What can I do to diagnose the problem. Any way to loosen a stuck starter?

Ayuh,.... of course the starter can be seized,(probably Is, if it got Wet) so can the motor, or drive...

Frozen starters are Replaced,... If ya can't reach it, Hire it done...

Plan for the worst and hope for the best on this one.

You believe the batteries are fully charged but, did you test them? If they have been sitting for two years also, it's time to install a new one and try again.

So the question is which is frozen, starter, engine or both???? I will boost the batteries and see if it makes a difference. But I think the batteries are got to go. I will see if I can manually turn the engine. Ike

Hey dirty-dawg, the starter may well be shot but before you try and crank your engine over, take out all the plugs and maybe pickle the cylinders with some WD40 or penetrating oil so as to soften up any rust on the rings before you possibly score cylinder walls or worse break a ring. Had a 350 jet drive boat many years ago that had locked up and we took out the plugs and let it sit a few days with penetrating oil in cylinders. The engine ran another three years without any problems. If you are that lucky and get it to fire, don't rev it up and try and get it to operating temp. for a bit and then dump all the oil out and change oil filter. Make sure you don't have any water in your oil to begin with before you try and start and make sure it is not overfull with. (Overfull is a possible indication of water in crank) Hope that is not the case. Also, it might take more than one oil change to clean out all the crap. I guess my point is don't rush into trying to start engine unless you are sure that everything that I mentioned is well and good! I am sure you will have a bunch of things to debug along with everything else that was mentioned. good luck, Tom P.S. You probably won't get the engine to start anyway because the fuel is probably rotten. That means pumping out and cleaning tank along with fuel filters etc.,etc.

Back