Logo

mercrusier problem 1999 4.3

emptyhead123

hello i have a 1999 mercruiser 4.3 litre that had a problem with the coil, i got a new one and put it in. the boat started well and good but when i when to put it in neutral it would cut out and the engine would stop. I have learn't from then that there needs to be a rev on the engine or it will cut out.

does anyone know why the engine wont keep running when its in neutral.

Re: mercrusier problem

Buy the correct rebuild kit, they have them at this site as well as others. Take the numbers off the carb and match it up to the kit, or go with the carb to napa and buy the kit from them , while at the auto parts store buy one can of of carb cleaner, and a can of berrymans carb cleaner.

The idle needle should be removed and soaked.

I use a old baking sheet or the bottom of a 24 pack cardboard or a old pizza box with sides, and take apart the carb, remove all rubber off it. Unscrew the jet or jets and the rubber seat of the needle. Soak the carb in the berrymans it has a screen in the can so when you pull up the screen the parts come up.

I soak overnight, but no less then 2-3 hours.

Ok after the soak compress air dry the parts, then shoot thru every hole with the carb cleaner with the straw in. Compress air dry reassemble the carb. Make sure you pay attention to what side the pin that holds the float on, so you can reinsert it the correct side.

Make sure the float still floats and that it doesn't have gas or pinholes in it.

The kit should have a new needle and seat and a new accelorater pump.

Some carbs have a ball bearing on the bottom the the accelorator pump some don't.

Make sure when you re-install the idle needle you do it gently when it seats all the way stop gently, turn it backe out 1 and 1/2 turns to start and on the boat you will set the final idle when it is running.

Make sure all mating surfaces are clean.

Good luck !

Or it could be the shift interrupt switch is hanging up if it shuts off going from reverse or forward into neutral. The switch momentarily shuts power to the plugs taking the torque off the clutch and allowing it to disengage from gear.

Or it could be the shift interrupt switch is hanging up if it shuts off going from reverse or forward into neutral. The switch momentarily shuts power to the plugs taking the torque off the clutch and allowing it to disengage from gear.

Ayuh,... Or more likely Yet,...
There was nothing wrong with the coil in the 1st place,...
The shift-interupt switch is working, Perfectly,...
But,..
The Lower Shift Cable is Junk,+ needs Replacing...

If it hasn't been replaced in the last 5 or 8 years,...
I'd Bet on it..

Btw,... I'd put in new Bellows while I had it apart.....;)

Back