Logo

Mercruiser Trim Problem

Island_Hopper

We are having trim problems on our Bravo 3. Goes up well/strong to correct extension length. Won’t go down (for a while it would go about an inch down, but now won’t do that). 2015 drive with about 250 hours. Pump motor spins when trying to go down. Sounds normal so no solenoid issue. Fluid level is correct. Can’t stand on drive to get it down because of swim platform. Rams appear undamaged. This happened when we were in water. Once we started forward, the motor eventually worked its way down, but became stuck up again when testing on shore. I am going to remove the rams to ensure they operate normally with no load, but the drive is up and want to get it down before doing that. Any suggestions on what the problem might be? Will releasing the hydraulic pressure lower the drive if gimbal not stuck? Has anyone had a failure of the valves associated with the pump that caused this? Thanks

To allow drive to lower, yes loosen one or both lines at base of pump and drive should drop. Fluid should leak out. If not loose enough it may require standing or pulling drive down or loosen more.
If it does not go down with one or both lines loose then it may be one or both trim rams (internal issues).
If trim ram or rams are the cause they can be serviced.
If it does not lead to trim rams then its one of the valves in the pump valve body. Tylically the trim up valve locks and wont allow fluid to move when down is selected.

Years back there was an issue if you trimmed/trailered all the way up and held the button a bit to long (over preasureizing the up valve) the drive would not go back down.

I have told everyone and I do so my self,
When trimming/trailer all the way up and you hear a tone change (over pressureizing). Immediately hit the trim down button for a second to relieve pressure. Maybe try this once you get drive to work after relieving preasure, if it does go up and down normally. Not all the way up or down but works normal until trimmed all the way up...

If it does not work properly after relieving the pressure then its either trim ram(s) or valve in valve body.

Thanks. Going to bleed a line as the next step. I did think there was a button or valve at the pump that allowed you to release pressure, but don’t know that for a fact.

Back