Logo

mercruiser starts ,put in gear lose all load items

newtoboat101

mercruiser 5.0 lx thunderbolt iv motors starts and runs fine ,but when i put in forward or reverse all my load items (bilge ,blower ,radio, gauges ,wipers ,lights) shut off ,motor still runs ,when put back in neutral everything comes back on ,anybody come across this problem, some sort of wiring problem )any ideas appreciated

I'd refer to "load items" as electrical accessories....yes, something appears to be wired incorrectly. Based on your description, I'd suspect all accessories share a common distribution source and or a common return (buss bar) and the issue is between there and the battery...I'd suggest getting a decent volt meter or test light and start tracing the circuit(s) til you find the open that occurs with the shifter position....almost like somebody used the nuetral safety switch in the circuit....

ok found problem,the cotter pin that holds brass shift adjustment at the motor,is contacting the bolt underneath it and is turning accessories on ,opposite of normal where pin would short out electric this is turning on when contacts any ideas on what to do when I pull pin off bolt I et no accessories re install pin contact nut underneath everything goes on help please

i think I got it ,added negative battery cable from accessories battery neg post to engine block and it worked ,second battery wasn't properly grounded

Back