Logo

Mercruiser shift lever and trim button removal

TomBuono

I have a 1998 Mercruiser Alpha drive (v-8). I am attempting to remove the shift/ throttle lever so I can replace the trim button. I have not seen clear instruction on how to do this. Does anyone have guidance?

Please describe operation for cold start.

1. Do you push black section/button at bottom of Handle? Or do you pull handle away from side panel to get neutral start throttle control?

I do not have much exposure to this handle design.

The box on the other side of side panel is basically the same as almost all other Merc control boxes.

Also I have a pdf on controls but I am at work so cant look til later and see if it contains this model

Here is a link on this site for this control

Below is a screen image of the info needed I hope.

I have not had one of these handles apart in a very long time so I forget the specifics. But as you can see, the Item 7 neutral button pops out and there is a threaded nut Item 8 that holds handle to control box

Remote Control-4000 Gen II.jpg

if I remember correctly, to remove the handle, you will have to push the throttle only button and then push the handle forward, about 45 degrees...you can then 'pop out' the button using a small flat blade...you can then access the nut...

if I remember correctly, to remove the handle, you will have to push the throttle only button and then push the handle forward, about 45 degrees...you can then 'pop out' the button using a small flat blade...you can then access the nut...
I was not sure on that.

I thought it was the control with the plastic curved handle which needed to be rotated....??

Not sure about this model.

I believe this is the control you refer to.
Comander 3000 with the curved handle.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231114-163328_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231114-163328_Samsung Internet.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 3
The post with image with parts break down is for Commander 4000, NOT the 3000.

The 3000 image is for Marks post regarding having handle on a angle to remove.

You are right! I did not pick up on that. Do you know if the removal procedure is the same for my Commander 3000?
The post with image with parts break down is for Commander 4000, NOT the 3000.

The 3000 image is for Marks post regarding having handle on a angle to remove.
You are right! I did not pick up on that. Do you know if the procedure for the Commander 3000 is the same as the 4000?

No i am not sure but based on ths neutral start button being round and the handle being straight. I think it comes off in the neutral position. The nuetral button (carefully) gets popped out, away from handle. Use care in doing this.
Once popped off you can loosen hex head tubular shaped nut to remove handle. if handle does not pull away easily then its possible it has to be in a different position as Mark suggested.
Of course the trim wiring will keep you from full removal but should be enough to get acess to handle for dissassembly to replace switch.

The 3000 pic i attacked has a different method For removal.

Just for reference purposes, page 15 of the following linked 4000 control handle installation manual suggests just move the handle forward in which the illustration shows about where the first in gear detent would be but with the button pushed in as we know it to be for removal.

Not sure of the difference in the newer manuals but I seem to recall removing these design handles in the WOT position successfully much like the recommendations for the older versions as shown in kghost photo of the 3000.

I just always went to wide-open throttle.

Well, gentlemen; I have successfully removed the shifter handle from the assembly. I did so by depressing the throttle only button and moving the throttle lever forward to around the 45 degree position. I was then able to carefully pry out the throttle only button. The removal of the nut inside the velvet was straightforward. Now, I need to order the replacement 4 wire trim button. (Note, there are 3 wire versions out there, but mine is 4 wire.) Again, thanks for your help.

Back