Logo

Mercruiser outdrive

wmattk

I have a 87, searay 268 sundancer, w/ 454 magnum, and what appears to be a alpha1, gen1 outdrive. Part that confusing is the lower unit. In a line down the prop shaft to the front, the front of the lower unit is pointed. What is it, and do i keep it or replace it?

Someone most likely added the pointed end cap to it.......

No problems leaving it there........Wont hurt anything. Except maybe a fish or two..........

Be very careful with the Alpha 1 gen 1 behind a Big block.

No hole shots or you will be replacing the upper gear case. Easy starts out of the water.......

Late in 1988 they finally released the Bravo 1 for this very reason..........

Someone told me that it was a bravo upper half, how do i find out, and what is my best option? Change the lower, change both, I can do the work, that's not a problem. I just need to know what is the best route to go. And if I change one or both, how do i know what to buy? I want this to be reliable. And as long as it is astronomically priced, I want to do it right. The boat is in excellent shape, and I want to keep it nice

There is no way it is half and half. two separate animals...........

The only way to make an alpha boat into a bravo boat it to change the entire transom assembly, out drive, shift bracket and short cable.
Eliminate the shift interrupter circuit completely.

If you feel you can do all that then have at it.
If you are not sure what drive is what, I would guess the answer is no. (not trying to sound condescending just stating the reality)

You would be looking at maybe $$ 3-5 thousand to do the conversion yourself if you could find good used parts. More if you purchase NEW parts.

best to leave it alone and enjoy it. Don't beat on it and when ready sell and upgrade or do the outdrive upgrade and really have some fun!!

Most likely the upper gear case has heavy duty gears in it already so it will work and last as long as you don't do hole shots like pulling skiers out of the water.

Once on plane it will work as any other boat.......just go easy getting there...............

a 27 foot boat with a 330hp BB and an Alpha drive. very doubtful that drive would remain in 1 piece. post some pics so we can tell you what you have.

a 27 foot boat with a 330hp BB and an Alpha drive. very doubtful that drive would remain in 1 piece. post some pics so we can tell you what you have.

The only way it would be a bravo now is if someone did the conversion . there was no bravo in 1987 as far as I remember. they appeared in late 1988 I believe

20160329_211539_zpseuzaakwt.jpg

20160329_211440_zpsjacivo8j.jpg

20160329_2113391_zpsvhsaf8fu.jpg

Last edited:
Bravo 1 or Bravo 2 , might be a stock lower unit with some bondo, modifications.You should find a belt driven raw water pump on the motor

WHat ever it is it sure is ugly........

Regardless, I have seen Alpha's with the nose cone added........so his could have had that happen.

He needs pictures or all is speculation..........

Last edited:
Ok I am confused????

Who's pictures are those? They are posted by the BT Doctur.........

Are they pictures of your drive WMATTK?

OK edit, I just realized those are pics of your outdrive you sent to the BT Doctur...............Now I understand.

If so the you have a Bravo drive with a nose cone modification. Very common for those who feel they can squeak more performance out there boat......May help on speed boats but not on barges.........

Bravo I,II,III have the same upper gear housing.

They all have different lowers gear cases.

Bravo I will use a standard size propeller. Typical 14 inch diameter

Bravo II will use a much larger diameter propeller, typical 18 inch diameter

Bravo III is a dual prop set up, Two props, one spins opposite direction to other.

I do not know but I feel it is unlikely the XR drive.............That would have been one expensive upgrade!! But hard to know. Looks like a added cone from the pictures.
XR is a high performance version of the Bravo I lower gear case.

Last edited:
I would consider adding the missing grease fitting in the transom housing. Will help prevent corrosion and seal damage.
I have a post on it and its in the sticky`s section

I'm new here, I don't know what the stickers section is referring too. I've taken more pictures today in the daylight, but having trouble posting them. The end of the prop shaft does have a "A" stamped in it. So it is the alpha lower half.

I'm new here, I don't know what the stickers section is referring too. I've taken more pictures today in the daylight, but having trouble posting them. The end of the prop shaft does have a "A" stamped in it. So it is the alpha lower half.

You may be new but you can read cant you?

I posted exactly what you need to know.

Bravo is your drive

which one is up to the three propeller choices I listed.

Most likely a BRAVO 1

Disregard the earlier posts before the pictures were posted. Someone did the conversion to a bravo as it was not available as far as I know in 1987.

Get the Alpha outdrive out of your language.

Its not an alpha.

Back