Logo

Mercruiser Hesitating and Backfiring 1983 228

ZEB

I have a 1983 4 Winns 22.5 Cubby Cruiser with a Mercruiser 228 engine. I took the boat out for the first time a few weeks back and it ran fine until I was coming in from 15 miles out. I got to within 3 miles from my dock and the engine started to hesitate. I slowed down and gave it some gas and it would still hesitate once in a while backfire thru the Carb. I was able to nurse it back to the Dick going approx 10 MPH, anything more the engine would hesitate and Backfire.

After that, I placed some Gas treatment in the Gas, cleaned the arrestor and filled it up (Approx 1/2 tank low) and took it on a short trip and ran fine.

Well I took it out other Day and went approx 20 miles out and trolled for approx 5 hours and it ran fine. when heading in I was approx 5 miles out from the dock and it started to act up. IT would hesitate and backfire and I was only able to get it up to 7 MPH. Anything higher it would start acting up, hesitate, backfiring or even stalling out.

Well I am hoping that I can get some assistance in trying to Diagnose the problem... Some was telling me a gas filter but I find it hard to believe that is the issue since it ran approx 7 hours with no issues.

Someone also mentioned a Module and I have noticed the RPMS are not as high as they use to be so I am not sure if that is the issue, any assistance is appreciated.

Re: Mercruiser Hesitating and Backfiring

Disregard meant to post on stern drive ..... This is now posted on sterndrive section....

Back