Logo

mercruiser engine hours check

mustang67

I get conflicting information on which mercruiser/volvo engines you can get the hours reading off, using the diagnostic tools. Is it only engines with an ecu? ie Injected, or all engines from a certain year.
I was about to take a 2002 Reinell with 2002 5.0lgl volvo to a mechanic to check hours but have been elsewhere told he can't get engine hours from it, because it is a carb engine and they have no ecu?? (don't want to waste my time and money). Please no guesses people, does someone know some definitive answers?

As far as Merc and volvo goes, You can read the engine hours on any of the EFI/MPI style engines, There are also lots of other EFI engine manufacturer brands out there that you could read as well, But the only carbureted engine that I'm aware of that you are able to read the engine hours from is going to be with the 1996 & up MerCruiser Thunderbolt V Ignition module.The scan tool supports 1996 & up MerCruiser Thunderbolt V ignition modules. Technicians can access engine operating hour data from the module and review the number of hours an engine has operated in several preset RPM ranges, This is as long as they have/use rinda's adapter part number #94020, See this link below.http://www.rinda.com/acro/scantool_adapters.pdf . here's A few of the scan tools they will need to do it with as well.http://www.rinda.com/marine/marine.htm#merctool

Typically any carbed engine will NOT have a way to find out how many hours are on a engine biult into the electronics/ignition systems. They typically used a HOUR METER either mounted in the dash or in the engine compartment somewhere.........

As said 1996 merc ignitions V or newer can be read.

Mercury and VOLVO are two different systems. Engine blocks may be the same but not a whole lot else.

If your ignition is electronic and has a module maybe it can.........As far as VOLVO

Cjeck over at the VOLVO section to see if someone there may know about it......

This is a merc billboard page so I can not answer your question about a VOLVO........

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful and saved me wasting my money as dealership said bring it in and for $200 we will do it for you. funny thing is they never even asked what engine etc.

Back