Logo

Mercruiser Aloha One

Borpa

All, help appreciated. Novice new owner here.
I have a Alpha One 5.0 that i have purchased over the summer.

Doing some maintenance today with Muffs on i am not getting any water ejected from the drive on cold start up.

No water ejected with muffs on and water on and engine not running.

THis is not normal correct. Am I incorrect in my thought that water should be ejected even with the engine off?

On cold start, thermostat closed should water still exit the stern drive?

Pending your thoughts, im thinking tear it down and inspect and replace impeller but this was just done this summer.

Am i worried for nothing?

I appreciate any advice for this basic issue.

Fresh water boat, 400 hours total. Rebuilt drive last year. Ran just under 200 dgrs last trip thus the inspection today.

Thank you.

When the thermostat is closed the water from the seawater pump is bypassed and still goes through the manifolds/risers to the exhaust pipe and out the bottom of the drive. So, yes there should be seawater flow at all times through the exhaust.

When the thermostat is closed the water from the seawater pump is bypassed and still goes through the manifolds/risers to the exhaust pipe and out the bottom of the drive. So, yes there should be seawater flow at all times through the exhaust.
There are several variables that would make this true.

We dont know what type of muffs are being used and how secure to the intake ports they are or what the water pressure is.
He also doesn't say if it is coming out the transom exhaust ports which we get questions about all the time.

Under ideal conditions your statement would be true.

The answer is,

If the engine is running in the water and it is not over heating at all then it is safe to assume the cooling system is OK.

Running on a hose on a trailer will not always show cooling system issues as the water is being forced into the system by way of the hose/muffs.

If you connect a hose and muffs it does not matter if water flows out the exhaust when the engine is not running.
Once you start the engine and after a very short time, water should come out the prop and transom ports.

That is ALL you need to be concerned with.

Back