Logo

mercruiser 898 starter stays engaged

strokin898

replaced starter and slave have good wiring from dash but when i turn the motor over it won't stop until i pull the battery cable. please help summer is getting shorter!!

i believe so. i started with all wires off slave solenoid and connected the wires one by one. the slave has the four posts. two big and and two small. left big is constant hot from battery small bottom lights when key is in acc position. left off two yellow wires. connected small yellow on top of slave and got a light when turned to start position then connected larger yellow to starter and it will crank from key but doesn't stop. the tester light shows that when you let off the key from start to acc the contact is broken but starter doesn't stop till i pull cable from battery

Are you speaking about the starter slave solenoid or the solenoid attached to the starter? The wiring on the slave has stripes. You need to provide the wire colors exactly as they are on the engine. It sounds like you have the starter/solenoid wired wrong or two terminals are touching together on the starter.

Are you speaking about the starter slave solenoid or the solenoid attached to the starter? The wiring on the slave has stripes. You need to provide the wire colors exactly as they are on the engine. It sounds like you have the starter/solenoid wired wrong or two terminals are touching together on the starter.

Yes, about the starter slave. the yellow wires are both solid in color and disappear into the mail wiring harness. both starter and slave were replaced with new. actually the slave was replaced twice now. on the slave, the large red is on left large terminal(always hot), bottom wire is from the key(confirmed from electrical tester.) Did not connect the small or large yellow wires to see if key was sending signal to start. connected small yellow to top terminal, got light when key was turned to start position and light went off when key was released to acc position. then connected large yellow wire to left large terminal which goes to the inside terminal of starter solenoid itself. if you snap the key to the start position the starter will spit but when you try a full crank the starter doesn't stop cranking even when key is turned off. Almost like when the signal is sent it never get told to stop. Hope you can help!!

slave has 4 wires,large red/purple strip(always hot) Yellow /red stripe (goes to starter solenoid, small yel/w stripe (from "start" position of key switch,) to a small lug, other small lug is ground.
" key was released to acc position" ?????????????????/
ign switch has off, on, start.
acc should have nothing to do with cranking.
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Techbk/96/96HGD4.PDF

Yeah by acc position i mean on position, sorry for any confusion. the starter slave ground is sandwiched between the mounting bracket and the slave itself. wonder what the small yellow coming off of the small top stud is then????? I noticed that my light got really dim in the on position off of that stud, would that be the coil wire? doesn't that drop the voltage when it goes to the coil?

...then connected large yellow wire to left large terminal which goes to the inside terminal of starter solenoid itself.

That wire should be connected to the normally not energized side of the slave solenoid; is that what you did?

your slave dosent care what wires go where, the larger wires go to the larger posts, the small yel /stripe goes to a small lug and the other small lug goes to ground.The heavy yel w/ stripe from the slave goes to the "S" on the starter solenoid
IMG_1747.jpg

Back