Logo

Mercruiser 5.7efi not getting fuel

Michael Moffett

It's been a long summer....

So it seemed like I needed a fuel filter.
Basically the engine would almost die sometimes at idle. If I gave it some gas it would be fine. this was not constant - just felt like starving for fuel a bit sometimes.

So I replaced the fuel filter. standard mercruiser spin on deal - in a very inconvenient place...

now the boat won't start.
carb seems bone dry. if I spray some starting fluid it fires (but doesn't run as I think it should but whatever)
So today I disconnected the fuel line and connected an outboard tank with a ball pump...
I also checked to see that there was fuel at the fuel line going into the carb - which there is.

still no go.

any hints about where to go next?
I get the startup beep and the fuel pump does turn on for a couple seconds...
I am convinced that there is no fuel coming out either injector.. but no idea why...

MM

Sometimes it is necessary to prime the filter w/fuel. You list it as EFI but you talk about the carb. Do you mean the throttle body?

I said carb - I meant throttle body.
throttle body with 2 injectors on top.

I did fill the filter with fuel before replacing - well - full with most not spilled out...
and as I said - I connected a outboard tank today and squeezed and squeezed... I am confident there is fuel right at the throttle body as some fuel leaked out when I took the line off right at the throttle body.

Back