Logo

Mercruiser 350 sqwills and runs hot

hoplesshunter

"Hey guys I need some help her

"Hey guys I need some help here.
Last summer my boat would overheat at an idle, but cool down and WOT. I took it to the shop and they did a whole impeller job on it. I got it back yesterday and ran it on the ear muffs at my house and it worked great (no overheating at idle). Today I went out on the lake with the family and noticed that the gauge was almost in the red zone and only when I would run it slow would it cool down again, BUT only about one line away from the red. I also noticed that if I would stop for more than a minute (like to pick up a tuber or somthing) it would make a loud sqwilling noise when I gave it throttle, but only for a second and then it would go away and sound good, but still almost in the red. Could this be my circ pump on the engine and if so where is the best place to get those? Any help would be great. By the way the motor is a 1985."

sounds like your belt is Loooo

sounds like your belt is Loooose ( squealing )

Good also be a problem with the circ pump going and binding causing the belt to squeal.

Check the belt first.

"Could be that,or the thermost

"Could be that,or the thermostat, manifolds, risers, impeller , gasket missing from impeller housing or water pocket cover,water pocket cover or gasket, hose behind gimbal housing kinked, power steering cooler clogged.bad sender, bad gauge.
Are the manifolds and risers extremely hot to the touch?"

Screaching often relates to th

Screaching often relates to the belt. Screaching an overheating also often relate to the belt. Sounds like something is up at the front of the motor. Make sure they tightened the bolt on the water pump that holds the belt tension.

Belt was loose. I could spin t

Belt was loose. I could spin the altinator by hand. I tightened the belt and no more screaching and seems to run cool on the muffs atr the house. Will check it out in the lake this coming weakend. Thanks guys for your info and saving me shop prices.

Back