Logo

Mercruiser 30 carb

c4winns

"i have a 1988 four winns w a

"i have a 1988 four winns w a 3.0 merc i\o that just wont start without me putting it in neutral and giving her some gas. it doesn't matter if shes cold or i just turned it off. i would like to know how to adjust the choke and idle so that when warm i can just turn the key and go. oh yea, it wont stay idleing for long, it just peeters out. it will stay running if i give it a little gas though. thanks for any help you can give!"

"Does the choke plate close sh

"Does the choke plate close shut all but 1/8" or so when cold and you move the throttle? Does it open all the way vertical when the engine warms? If the choke does these then it is working.

If not then, on a cold engine, loosen the three screws on the side of the choke a little and turn the assy. until it is nearly closed then tighten the screws. If you have to turn the choke more than 1/8" - 1/4" then the bi-metal choke spring is worn out and the choke should be replaced.

You can see three little marks at the 12 O'clock position of the choke ring and 1 on the choke. They are the rich to lean marks used to set up a new choke."

"Have you ever rebuilt the car

"Have you ever rebuilt the carb? If not it's probably time.

Also, how fresh is the gas ? Do you have a fuel water separator ?

just some thoughts."

Back