Logo

Mercruiser 3.7L (470) inboard help

Browndogbrew

I know this engine is very polarizing (love it or hate it), so this post is directed toward the former. I have a 1980 25 foot Blackfin that I am restoring. It came with twin 470 MIEs.the camshaft on the port engine is shot and I’m looking to get a donor engine to rebuild. This is an inboard, counter rotation (right hand) engine. It is indeed a rare beast. If anyone has any leads on where I might find one it would be appreciated.

Agreed on the rare beast...so don't set the bar too high....

you might find something on facebook or ebay but probably not what you want.

about the only other alternative is to call one of the custom cam grinders and see if they have a blank they can grind for you...and then rebuild what you have...my guess is you don't want to go down the V-6 path...

Agreed on the rare beast...so don't set the bar too high....

you might find something on facebook or ebay but probably not what you want.

about the only other alternative is to call one of the custom cam grinders and see if they have a blank they can grind for you...and then rebuild what you have...my guess is you don't want to go down the V-6 path...
Thanks Makomark. I am watching all the popular market sites (market place, eBay. Craigslist) but haven’t had any luck yet. I’m not at the point of seriously looking at alternative power plants but going to a v setup would likely be problematic because there isn’t any room for additional width. The engine bays sit midship and outboard with a walk between. If I had to go a different route I would likely look at straight 6s or sacrifice some ponies and go with a 3 L four banger. For now I’ll keep looking. I also am starting to research getting one manufactured.

Understand...similar to what many face when they go to refurb a 25' Bertram...

FWIW, a few years back, there was a lot of interest in those engines over on the H.A.M.B. on the jalopyjournal.com car site...may be some nuggets if you don't have anything to do on a rainy day...

There are a couple of used cams on ebay but always thinking u wanted new.

Delta regrinds and repairs cams with flattened lobes https://deltacam.com/services/repairs/

Back