Logo

Mercruiser 3.0 Problems !!!!!Need help Please!!!!!!!

Dynasty_Owner

Purchased a 1991 Dynasty Elan about 3 months ago, boat has been running awesome the last 10 or so times we have used it. Until this past weekend. So, when pulling a tuber, i noticed a loud clicking noise coming from the outboard portion of the motor, not from inside at the engine itself. so i was a good way from the dock so i tried to creep back and about half way, a loud clanking and the motor revved up, and wasnt going forward anymore and not in reverse either. so i get a tow and try looking at it from our camp site, the engine starts up great and runs awesome but the noise is gone and the boat will not go into gear to move forward or reverse, just revs up. took off the prop and the foot was full of water, and there was grease/oil coming from the suction holes in the foot. also as i hooked it to the dog ears to run the engine, i noticed it wasn't sucking the water in/out at all. Need some advise as to what the problem could be. im a new I/O owner. not sure what to do here. but need to fix quickly to enjoy the summer with the new boat. any advise or direction from what i have described would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

"Entourage"

Sad to say it sounds like it was running without enough oil in the drive and the upper gears melted. remove the 4 bolts in the top cap and look inside.
report back.I think you will see this
44593f1f.jpg

I don't know about the melted gear, you could be right. But a loud clunk and oil coming from the water intake holes says to me that something broke and took a piece of internal case with it. My thought is that the OP is looking at a replacing the outdrive. A new aftermarket one is probably going to run $1300-$1500. A used one, if you're up for the risk, should be considerably less. The good news is it's an easy repair. Basically 4 bolts, R&R the drive and bolt it on. You'll need two guys as the drive is heavy and akward. Plenty of youtube videos on how to pull and install them.

Sad to say it sounds like it was running without enough oil in the drive and the upper gears melted. remove the 4 bolts in the top cap and look inside.
report back.I think you will see this
44593f1f.jpg

Thanks, i am out of town working, i will be home to check it out friday, will report back. thanks alot for the reply!

that is exactly what i hope isn't wrong lol but i guess only way to find out is take it all apart and look around. Thanks for the reply!, anything helps

you bought it 3 months ago, was any service performed before you bought it. Did you water test it ? Did you perform any maintance on it since purchase?
Did you check the engine oil and drive oil?

I just toasted my upper gears in my alpha 1, ordered a new one from SEI ( aftermarket) $1440 shipped, includes 3 quarts if oil and an install kit. 3 year no fault warranty. Can't beat that. It will be here tomorrow, I'll be on the lake sat!
Great reviews on these drives and the company

I just toasted my upper gears in my alpha 1, ordered a new one from SEI ( aftermarket) $1440 shipped, includes 3 quarts if oil and an install kit. 3 year no fault warranty. Can't beat that. It will be here tomorrow, I'll be on the lake sat!
Great reviews on these drives and the company

A buddy of mine has an 02 Caravelle. His Alpha 1 died and he replaced it with one of their drives. He put the first one on in the spring of last year. This spring he put the 4th one on. The first 3 developed a very loud wine/howl. The latest drive is supposed to have heavier duty gears, we'll see how it lasts. I will say the company has stood behind their drives and have exchanged each one with no hassles.

Does anyone where to get fuel pump for 3.0 omc sterndrive. Switched temporarily to electric pump which is not always reliable
First, welcome.
Second, you'll usually get better responses if you start your own thread rather than hijacking an unrelated one.
Third, any marina near you that sells parts for your boat can order what you need. Or google your boat/engine using key words like parts or fuel pump
Fourth, scroll to the very top of this forum, click on parts and enterthe info on your boat/engine.

Back