Logo

mercruiser 3.0 no power at take off

bgskip

Any thoughts.....
I have a 2007 Bayliner 175. 4 cylinder 3.0 TKS.
Boat quit on lake. Could not start, kept back firing through carb. Finally changed the distributor and I was able to time and set idle properly.
Now I do not have any power to get up on plane. It will rev just fine. When I put the muffs on and run it out of water and put in gear sounds like it has tons of power.
Things done prior to distributor replacement;
Carb rebuild.
New plugs
New dis. cap and rotor.
New double walled fuel line. Marine grade
New filter in the fuel pump. Diaphragm checked.....not rotted or split.
Removed gas in tank and filled with new. Added ethanol treatment.]

If you have had this issue, I would love to hear what you did to resolve.

Any thoughts.....
I have a 2007 Bayliner 175. 4 cylinder 3.0 TKS.
Boat quit on lake. Could not start, kept back firing through carb. Finally changed the distributor and I was able to time and set idle properly.
Now I do not have any power to get up on plane. It will rev just fine. When I put the muffs on and run it out of water and put in gear sounds like it has tons of power.
Things done prior to distributor replacement;
Carb rebuild.
New plugs
New dis. cap and rotor.
New double walled fuel line. Marine grade
New filter in the fuel pump. Diaphragm checked.....not rotted or split.
Removed gas in tank and filled with new. Added ethanol treatment.]

If you have had this issue, I would love to hear what you did to resolve.
Check the timing and the firing order of the spark plug wires. Did you replace them one at a time, or all at once? Did you make note of the rotor's position and did you change that, too? (didn't see anything about the rotor)

Running it out of the water doesn't matter, aside from just making sure it runs.

Why were all of these parts replaced? I have a 1984 4Winns and I replaced the fuel filer hose, fuel line to the carb and the vent line, but it was because they were 35 years old and all had cracks. Never checked the diaphragm because it's not exposed to the atmosphere. I don't know why your fuel line needed to be replaced.

Does the distributor have points, or electronic ignition? If points, check the gap & dwell- if it has electronic, check the dwell and make sure the pickup is at the correct distance from the cam. Do you have a timing light?

Back