Logo

Mercruiser 1 Drive Unit will not engage gear

jackman

Contributing Member
Unable to move control handle from neutral so I disconnected drive shift cable(the rearmost cable that runs into the stern drive casing) and this freed the control handle but didn't of course engage gear. The obvious answer would seem to be to replace the shift cable but is there other reason why this problem would arise. The boat has been out of the water for the last 12 months and I occasionally moved the control handle which was working perfectly until a couple of months ago. Seems strange it packed up when not being used. Can't run engine at moment as boat still out of water.

Last edited:
Unable to move control handle from neutral so I disconnected drive shift cable(the rearmost cable that runs into the stern drive casing) and this freed the control handle but didn't of course engage gear. The obvious answer would seem to be to replace the shift cable but is there other reason why this problem would arise. The boat has been out of the water for the last 12 months and I occasionally moved the control handle which was working perfectly until a couple of months ago. Seems strange it packed up when not being used. Can't run engine at moment as boat still out of water.

Ayuh,... Ya answered yer own question,... It seized from sittin',... Change the lower cable...

Back