Logo

Mercathode

tuna_man

Regular Contributor
How does it work, and does it work?

Moored 25 Bertram Twin V6 alpha 1 gen2. System presently disconnected.

Mark,

It produces a small current that attempts to push away stray current leaking from other sources than may attack electrically conductive parts exposed to/in water. Very simplified explanation: it is like two magnets when the north pole tries to mate with the south pole....they try to separate from each other.

other factors that aggravate the situation are SS props, shore power connections, and certain battery chargers. corroded trim sensor wires at the transom housing dropping 12v into the water all the time the ign is "on" . There is a simple fix using 2 diodes and a slight rewire

Ok, you caught me out. Lost in translation, it actually a 26, which you've never heard of so I describe it as a 25.
Its an Australian Bertram, they fattened it a bit to fit the V6s in. they stretched It a bit as well to 26. It went to market after MC dropped the 4 cyl stern drives...
Built under licence to Bertram USA by Melbourne International Marine, its basically identical to the 25, but slightly bigger.
They've been building them here, all sizes, since I was a young man.
How do they go? Formula 1 car on the water, but sucks fuel, so cheap here if you want one.. aussie dollar down right now.

Last edited:
I used to own a twin 165 Merc Alpha 1 ( Navy top) B25 until I got dovirced... Was about to look into repower options when I lost it :-( . 165 blocks were getting scarce and pricey at the time and I wanted to change the Alpha 1's to Volvo 280's or 290Ts. I'd heard of the Aussie B26 and it's hull changes, but never ran across any info on its power options or performance. Stuff I'd read indicated that the hull changes improved handling in addition to more room.

Back