Logo

Mercarb 2bbl electric choke Q's

13Moose

what is the best way to troubleshoot e/choke....it is not opening unless I force it open then engine purs like a kitten at idle....I put in gear, throttle forward and still runs smooth....but when I throttle back to neutral choke snaps shut and bogs engine out.....I guess could be voltage problem?? can they be rebuilt with carb or is it just something you have to replace.....Thanks in advance

motor cold, increase throttle about 2 inches ,remove flame arrestor,verify choke plate moves freely, if not fix that first.
loosen 3 screws on side plate,using a 1/8 inch drill bit as a gauge, rotate housing closing choke , tighten screws
Turn key to " on" within 2 minutes housing should warm a bit opening the choke.If no warming ,heater element needs replacing

ok..choke plate fairly hard to turn by hand as it sits there (not sure if that's normal) as soon as I removed the heating element it totally frees up...now to put It back together and follow procedure from Bt Doctur above...question I have is using the drill bit as a gauge?? in what manner..should I only move it an 1/8 and use it for measurement?? thanks

OHHHH ok....sorry that does make sense....all seems to be working now....now will just adjust for that 1/8 gap.....thanks again Bt Doctur

Back