Logo

Merc Alpha 1 Engine Question (manifolds, block)

Matt Krzyzowski

I have a question regarding the engine block on a 1989 Mercrusier 5.0L V8 Alpha One. Boat was givin to me by a family friend, it's in great shape for being 22 years old, and the engine ran great...after replacing the ignition coil and it started right up...When I discovered the bigger problem....

I noticed a bit of water (I had the rabbit ears on) spraying from a crack in the right exhaust manifold(I was told this could be welded) and then realized water almost pouring out toward the bottom of the engine around the block. I stopped the engine and discoverd a big crack in the block. Is this where the water can be coming from? There was a lot coming in.

I was told that the owner ran the boat last year and did not drain it so I'm assumng it froze and thats where the cracks came from.

My question now, would be what to do???

I realize a cracked block is pretty much a death sentence to the engine but I paid NOTHING for the boat and trailer. It's a 21' open bow Arriva and as I said, it's in great shape and I was supprised how well it ran when I got it started.

I'd be willing to spend some money to get it fixed so I just wanted to see what the best option was and get some opinions from some pros on here as well.

Thank you in advance for all your info.

For under $2000 you can purchase a remanufactured long block. Since both 305 and 350 are the same except internals you could purchase a 350 for more power. you may need a four barrel carb also.but everything else will bolt right up!

If you do some research on line for marine engine replacements there are amny options depending on where you live.

Also craigslist may have some remanufatured engine companies that are local to you.

~ 8 years ago I did a complete 350 inboard ski boat motor swap for a friend. Long block was $1700, My labor and any additional parts, the total came to $2400.00 again he was a friend so I discounted labor very generously............

If you can do it yourself that will save a ton of cash........

The combustion/running has no effect on the cracked block and visa versa until the motor over heats due to loss of water flow...........

michigan motors but be careful read them the casting numbers.

You can also for around 500 dollars get new mani's new risers all in one box with gaskets.

With shipping 2000 or more just for the long block.

yes get a rebuilt, cheap if you say it quick!!! lol my 97 baja got a new one it was a jasper engine, thats the way two go, they charged me 4255.00 comp, u going to play u goota pay, thats my 2 cents good luck. mike

Back