Logo

Merc 70 starting and Idle problems

mullet_inn

"1983 70, Runs fine at speed,

"1983 70, Runs fine at speed, but when I shut it off it is hard to restart. I have to push the throttle up and let it rev up for a second. Also it runs much better at low speeds trimmed up, when trimmed down this problem is at it's worst?

Thanks Tim"

"carb problems, sounds like a

"carb problems, sounds like a float is stuck open. trim motor level, pump bulb and look with light down carbs for fuel dripping out of carb. suggest removing all carbs and overhaul them."

"Had that problem (fuel le

"Had that problem (fuel leaking out of bottom carb). I broke them both down cleaned them out and put them back on with new gaskets. I did not replace the floats, I guess they could have a hole in them and be sticking down? I did seem to run alott better right after I did that?

I don't think I said, or asked sometimes when it is hard to start after sitting for awhile it sounds like it is running on one cylinder? A little throtle up and it clears up.

Could this also be a sticking float?

Also it runs great at speed. and all cyl. have great compression.

Thanks Tim"

"yep your right the bottom car

"yep your right the bottom carb is flooding, funny how it ran great for a day after I cleaned them out. Do you think the floats are bad? Or just stuck?

Thanks Tim"

"hard to say, dirty gas, old f

"hard to say, dirty gas, old float and needle, or maybe the old float doesn't like the newer fuels. At least you know the problem."

"Good chance the needle is bad

"Good chance the needle is bad, Cleaned a ton of crap out of the seat. Could this cause the flooding?

Again thank you for your help.

Tim"

time for a overhaul kit plus n

time for a overhaul kit plus needle and float. you really don;t want to tear those carbs off every trip. fuel filter service also. is this crud from old gas or just neglect?

Back