Logo

Merc 70 hp 1982 There is a carb enrichment device on this engine that has a plastic rod between the 2 carbs and a small metal ball connected to the

crankshaft

Contributing Member
There is a carb enrichment device on this engine that has a plastic rod between the 2 carbs and a small metal ball connected that goes out the top of the rod to somewhere so wherever it is connected to the rod will be pulled up to pull up the throttle connections on the carbs so that they will be enriched. What does the small metal ball connect to. The Seloc manual and online schematics do not show it.

There is a carb enrichment device on this engine that has a plastic rod between the 2 carbs and a small metal ball connected that goes out the top of the rod to somewhere so wherever it is connected to the rod will be pulled up to pull up the throttle connections on the carbs so that they will be enriched. What does the small metal ball connect to. The Seloc manual and online schematics do not show it.
Since you have a Seloc manual, go to the engine-external wiring harness and find the wire that is attached to the enrichment function on/in the control box. Just follow the wire in the engine from that pin. Another option is to have someone operate the enrichment function at the control box and listen in the engine for a switching noise (click)....sound amplifying devices in the ear probably would/could help to hear the noise.

Since you have a Seloc manual, go to the engine-external wiring harness and find the wire that is attached to the enrichment function on/in the control box. Just follow the wire in the engine from that pin. Another option is to have someone operate the enrichment function at the control box and listen in the engine for a switching noise (click)....sound amplifying devices in the ear probably would/could help to hear the noise.
Sounds good Tele, trouble is as this is a work in progress, do not have controls. The boat/motor sat in a yard not used for a quarter century. Got it cheap and since I think it is the lightest 70 ever made, wanted it. Everything is frozen on it except the engine! We worked all afternoon in the rain and finally just cut all the wire harness and control cables off of it. I am going to put more posts on here like for the prop that is totally stuck to the prop shaft. Now looking for controls so I can try your advice. Know if the China controls are any good>

Don't you mean an electric wire. This is not, but a very small twisted strand wire (cable) with a metal ball that must fit somewhere.

SWAG: The ball would fit in a socket on an electrical solenoid mounted somewhere. When energizing the solenoid via the wires I mentioned, the solenoid would pull on the ball accomplishing the function. You are looking for the wires to follow till they come to the solenoid. Then look for where the ball fits on the solenoid.

Ok will try this...actually the ball and wire goes thru the plastic connection between the 2 carbs. On the other end is a typical wire connection that goes somewhere, maybe the solenoid.

This is so frustrating, as I can find little in online manuals or the seloc paper shop manual which the online ones are seloc also. What does anyone think of this. Take off the whole airbox on front of the engine and reroute starting wires AND that crazy choke/enrichment solenoid. That box weighs about 10/15 pounds on its own and would take down the weight of the outboard from 190 lb to 175/180ish. If I had to I could remove that small front cover on the hood/cowling to prime the carbs with spray bottle if necessary. Any weight reduction would be appreciated as there is no power tilt on the outboard, just manual gas shocks that took me forever to find NOS ones.

The round end of wire goes to the manual choke knob.
s-l1200.jpg

Yes, have these. the question is where does that round terminal on the end of the manual choke knob go....Thanks for the photo reply!!!

On my 115 the key puts 12v on that yellow/black wire when you want to "enrich". With the bulb firm, pushing in on the key or pushing the dash mounted button adjacent to the key will cause the solenoid to energize allowing fuel to to sent directly to the intake manifold or carbs. There is a hose into and out of the solenoid and no place for manual control. So, since you have an electric solenoid, I have no idea where the wire in question goes.

Me either, I think it was a ghost wire that had me stumped thinking it was part of the electric solenoid system. To make sure it hangs up on anything I will cut it off as it serves no purpose. Fastbullet must have a lot of experience and/or an original Mercury shop manual too.

I had to go look at mine again to make sure I was not missing something, and mine is not like this with no fixture for a manual choke. IT is hard on mine to get that weighted tube up into the round assembly (not much room) so I will just let the small cable hang there.

That "ovalish hole at 8 o'clock at solenoid is where the wire from choke rod pass thru to knob. Your missing the knob and bracket.

Yes, is the manual choke a back up as the solenoid type kind of looks not reliable! Wonder where I can get a choke bracket.
You seem the guy to go to for info on this outboard and you have one in the cellar to boot and know a lot about Mercs. Can you tell me or send a photo or diagram of where the battery cables are attached to the outboard. I can guess, but spent a lot of time cleaning as many terminals with rust and corrosion as possible and don't want to burn anything out. I took them off fast and forgot.

Back