Logo

Merc 5.0L cuts out, dies, alarm sounds then restarts after cooling down

btjohnson911

Hey folks. I have a 2002 Bayliner Capri Classic 2150 with a Merc 5.0 and Alpha One outdrive. Background: Bought the boat this summer after it had been in storage for about 6 years. Had seen light saltwater usage but otherwise it is very clean. Internal cooling system. Used less than 3 seasons for fishing before being stored. I've had it out several times and it ran like a top. No problems. Then yesterday at the lake it ran great for an hour, but after stopping it died and wouldn't start again. A couple times it would act like it was starting then die. Thought at first I was out of gas, but the gauge showed 3/4 tank and it was working in the past. Finally pushed the red circuit reset button and then it started. Thought maybe had overloaded the electrical system and tripped the breaker...had on radio, gps and fishfinder. Then after running a bit, it died again. Same thing...sat for awhile, then started up. Started running back to ramp and it ran fine for about 10 minutes, then we hit some wakes and it sputtered and died again. This time when i tried to start it an audible alarm started sounding when i turned the key on. The gauges were reading normal - about 30-35 psi oil pressure and 175 deg water temp. Was charging at 13+ volts. AT NO TIME DID THE GAUGES SHOW ANYTHING UNUSUAL. After sitting again for a bit, i turned the key, the alarm sounded, then it started up and the alarm went off. Was able to motor in to the ramp and load up ok.

Read the manual on the audible alarm. Low oil pressure, high water temp or low drive oil. Was able to see drive oil in the reservoir though it was little low so i don't think it was any of those 3 things that should cause the audible alarm. ???? Almost seems like the fuel filter is clogging (which wouldn't surprise me after that long in storage) but i has ran for several hours before with no problem and its not a constant sputtering. thought maybe fuel pump, but again...it runs when it runs.

Any thoughts, suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Brian

Last edited:
You have a blocked fuel tank vent hose. This happed to us. After a $450.00 carb rebuild it was found. Get a air hose and blow it into the tank,unless you have access to the tank then backblow. Spiders like to build nests in there. Heck, I like the smell of gas too. Cheap thing to do while doing the process of elimination.
Moondrifter

is the alarm a few beeps a minute, constant beep or constant beep with loss of power? carb, EFI or MPI ? fuel filter comes to mind plus phase seperation in the fuel but just guessing, bad impeller also?

Last edited:
Take for a run on an external tank, I was fighting with somewhat of the same issues and finally did that. Identified problem was with tank, cleaned all filters, pick up and anti-siphon. Runs fine now. knock on wood

Back