Logo

Merc 33 hard to shift

fdefinis

I have a merc 3.3 with neutral

I have a merc 3.3 with neutral and forward shifting. The shifting is getting quite stiff but there is no apparent way to adjust or lubricate the thing. I would appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

The neutral reverse lock (

The neutral reverse lock (that keeps the motor from tilting up) may need some lubrication.

Jeff

"It's a 'hook' dea

"It's a 'hook' deal that grabs the tilt pin to keep the motor from flipping up in reverse and neutral when you yank the cord. A cam of some type does the latching action, and they tend to require regreasing.

Not sure how it's done on "fleas". Sorry.

Jeff"

"Thanks for the effort but min

"Thanks for the effort but mine doesn't have that mechanism. If anyone else has an idea, I would be most appreciative."

"This happened to me a few yea

"This happened to me a few years ago; I couldn't shift from neutral to forward on my 3.3.

I started by taking the propeller off, opening the gear box moving upwards. I was starting at the exact wrong end. The problem was that the shift lever was frozen as it passed through the cowling. I took it out and cleaned it, replaced the O-rings and it then worked fine. I couldn't understand why it was frozen, but that was it.

Study the diagram, and be careful around the shift rod lever."

"Look underneath the powerhead

"Look underneath the powerhead at the front of the engine. Two bolts holding the access plate on. Remove to get to the shift lever to clean it. There are two o-rings on the lever, to keep salt out, but they can only do so much."

Back