Logo

Merc 228 Starter getbs hot and wonbt start

skitch

"I have a 1979 EBKO CORBA, i t

"I have a 1979 EBKO CORBA, i took it out, ran it, runs' good, came back, the starter got real HOT and would not start? Can anyone tell me why it gets hot and what I can do to fix this problem?

Thank You"

So that would make the starter

So that would make the starter hot? it did drain my battery. What do you think could have drained it?

"Not real sure, just bought th

"Not real sure, just bought the boat, it's a 1979. Would that drain the battery as well?"

"I am not sure if the battery

"I am not sure if the battery was charged all the way when i got it, I was working on it the night before with the lights on. I took it out the next day, run it for about 30 mins, came back. when to start it again it it won't fire. Does the starter get hot from just trying to crank it over and over? I charged the battery up and it firs up, do you think it will do it again?"

"Any electric motor under a lo

"Any electric motor under a load will generate lots of heat. Metal expands when heated which increases any loose electrical connections.

You've been given multiple suggestions to solve the problem by people who are knowledgeable.

RECAP: 1977 boat = old wiring and worn and unserviced starter

1. Test Starter; Service & repair starter or replace
2. Load drop test; if drop exists, clean cables and connection points. Still exists; replace both battery cables.
3. Load test battery; replace if questionable"

I just want to thank everyone

I just want to thank everyone who has helped me try to fix this. I will probably try that this weekend due to cold weather here in Pittsburgh Pa. It's about 50-55 with rain today.

Back