Logo

Merc 1993 4.3LX stock alternator rating question?

yannicksjh

Hi, i have and older 1993 Mercruiser 4.3 LX and was looking at my alternator today and wondering if it had the right rating alternator on it. Mine says its a 55 amp. Is that the stock rating or did someone already replace it with a smaller rating one? If so, can i get one with an increase rating? OR have it rebiult to be stronger. It really doesn't seem to charge my batteries very well. I just took it off and having it tested tomorrow to see what its putting out and might have it rebuilt if it needs it. Ultimately i think i would like a stronger alternator, is there a max amp rating i can get or should i stick with whats recommended? thanks

Re: Merc 4.3LX stock alternator rating question?

Thats about the industry standard.May want to have it checked .Also check all battery cable connections.Inspect cable for a lumpy feeling along its length,bumps are internal corrosion. Also the cable ends should be copper not steel

what kind of items need to be powered on your boat, fish finder, radio, vhf, what else ?

55 amps more then enough. Maybe your battery is suspect just this year 2 battery's i swear were good gave up the Ghost.

Yea Ghost just saying hi.

DBelectrical on ebay has his own website i recommend them i lost count how many starters , and alternators i bought from them. Oh yea the one the sent me was 100 amps under 90 bucks delivered to my door, new where you gonna get yours rebuilt for that money, nowhere.

Don't forget to clean your main ground follow the neg wire off the battery to the motor.

Good luck.

Hi, I had both batteries tested first. I do have a substantial stereo system on the boat which may also be the cause of the alternator not being able to keep up. I've checked all conections and wires numerous times now and they all seem good and clean. thanks guys!

Never understand why someone puts high amp pulling stereo equipment on any boat shorter then a 30 footer.

To each his own, get the 100 amp alternator, won't hurt a thing.

Good luck !

W/a 100 amp alternator you will have to change the output wire to 6 gauge to safely handle the 100 amps.

W/a 100 amp alternator you will have to change the output wire to 6 gauge to safely handle the 100 amps.

Thanks for the heads up on the wire! I got my alternator tested today and its fine. So i guess i'll leave it for now and maybe order a 100AMP when i get a chance (even before i need it just to have it on hand). I'll check DBelectrical on ebay as cheifalen mentionned. thanks guys!

Back