Logo

Mer 1991 57

hoseman

Contributing Member
Hello I am looking at a boat

Hello I am looking at a boat with a mer. 5.7 1991 and it has through haul exhaust just wanted to know some feed back on the reliability of this motors and if I should look at any thing that has been a problem in the past . I currently have a 130 mer so it should be a huge change .How bad is the fuel burn will I notice a huge difference ?This boat is a 20.5 runabout TY Darrin

"The 5.7 has been around for a

"The 5.7 has been around for a long time. It likes fuel. Pay to have the boat surveyed by an experienced professional. Insist the engine be compression tested dry and wet (teaspoon of oil). Have the transom, stringers, engine mount bases and floor checked for rot. Have the OD oil examined. Finally take it out for a sea trial with someone who will be objective and not blinded by the boat and power it has. Ask to see all service records and receipts."

"Mine, in a 23 foot ebbtide mi

"Mine, in a 23 foot ebbtide mid-cabin burns about 4-4.5 Cdn. Gallons (4.8-5.5 U.S Gal.) per hour, in mixed use in speed controlled rivers/canals, opening up to lakes with a cruise RPM of 3000 (about 20-23 mph on GPS for my boat) Which aint too bad as boats go.. It basically your choice, you can fill it up, and use it all in a day, a weekend, or ????..
If you can afford the boat for what you want to do with it, you can afford the gas.. Boat Gas is just 'phycologically' different
rofl.gif
"

Back