Logo

MC 4.3L V6 starts fine then dies

bhuffman

Continuation of an old thread:
http://www.marineengine.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?12486/290007

"[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Boat starts fine and revs high but quickly dies like it's running out of gas."

[/FONT]The fuel pump isn't keeping pressure up and the reason seems to be that when you are starting the motor there's power to the fuel pump, as soon as you let off the starter the fuel pump only gets power for a second or so. That's why it starts then runs out of gas. Checked the purple/yellow wire coming out of the oil pressure switch, same there.

Pulled the starter thinking the built in solenoid is not working properly.

Any suggestions before I spend $150? Could it be the starter slave solenoid?

check all fuel filters including the hidden one leading into the gase tank. You might have as many as three along the fuel line. that is where I found my problem very simular to what you are stating. The are very small screens inside the lines.

Thanks for the idea, the inlet strainer filter next to the carb looked brand new. Will have to trace back to find the other filters.

Check your wirng harness to the pump; there have been some corrosion problems at a connector in the harness posted.

In the end I didn't need to bypass the oil pressure switch - just needed to hook it up! Seems when it was professionally winterized they somehow knocked off one connector and it went unnoticed until I started looking at the motor from behind. Plugged it back in and it ran fine.

Back