Logo

Mating surface for Gimble Bearing

RICHRICH36

Hello all. I have a Alpha One Gen 2 sterndrive. I allowed water in to the bellows area due to spraying the engine compartment. I am going to replace gimble bearing, seals and possibly u joints.

Here is where I am a little concerned, when I ran my finger around the area that the gimble bearing is pressed in to, there feels like indentations. Is that normal? Is it to stop the gimble bearing from rotating? I couldnt imagine those indentations being caused from the bearing heating up. I know something heated up because I smelled a mixture of burning oil and steam coming from the transom area (in the engine compartment) I attached some pics of the shaft and bearing.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Untitled-2.jpgUntitled-3.jpgUntitled-1.jpg

Your Welcome. There's also a slot or marking on the bearing that needs to be lined up with where the grease is comes in from the zerk fitting if you use a greaable bearing as opposed to sealed bearing

Your Welcome. There's also a slot or marking on the bearing that needs to be lined up with where the grease is comes in from the zerk fitting if you use a greaable bearing as opposed to sealed bearing

Well I dont like to skimp and try to always use OEM so the new bearing I have is a sealed type.

Hello all. I have a Alpha One Gen 2 sterndrive. I allowed water in to the bellows area due to spraying the engine compartment. I am going to replace gimble bearing, seals and possibly u joints.

Here is where I am a little concerned, when I ran my finger around the area that the gimble bearing is pressed in to, there feels like indentations. Is that normal? Is it to stop the gimble bearing from rotating? I couldnt imagine those indentations being caused from the bearing heating up. I know something heated up because I smelled a mixture of burning oil and steam coming from the transom area (in the engine compartment) I attached some pics of the shaft and bearing.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Are you saying that you washed your engine and got water inside the drive shaft bellows?

If that is what you are saying, That is impossible. If you have water in the bellows, you have a leak in the bellows.

Change all the bellows and shift cable..

Ayuh,..... Did you pull the bearin' outa the housin', 'n slip it onto the shaft, or did the bearin' come out with the drive,..??

Are you saying that you washed your engine and got water inside the drive shaft bellows?

If that is what you are saying, That is impossible. If you have water in the bellows, you have a leak in the bellows.

Change all the bellows and shift cable..

Chris, that was my original thought but after realizing that would be hard I almost have to contribute it to me keeping the bow of the boat lifted high during storage and the possibility of the water level rising in the bilge due to some debris that was preventing the bilge from draining.

I took a 500 lumen light and inspected the drive bellows and didnt see any light penetrating regardless of how hard I flexed the bellows. As for the exhaust and shift bellows, from the outside they appeared to be in good condition. These were replaced approx 4 years ago when I had the drive serviced.

Ayuh,..... Did you pull the bearin' outa the housin', 'n slip it onto the shaft, or did the bearin' come out with the drive,..??

Bondo, unfortunately the way you see it is the way it came out. I have yet to be able to remove the bearing from the shaft as it has welded itself.

Back