Logo

Mariner starter motor

ktmjunkie

Contributing Member
"Hi Guys
Having problems star

"Hi Guys
Having problems starting, sounds like a lazy starter when i took it off to clean it i noticed someone has drilled the mounting bracket to take the starter. so i am assuming the starter that is fitted is not the right one. maybe this is my problem.has anyone got a secondhand starter to fit or knows where i might get one from.
ts a 2 stroke 2 cylinder 55hp ser no 633318314 not sure wha year it is.
Regards Gor}don"

First of all that is not the s

First of all that is not the serial no. for your motor. Merc serial nos are 7 digits long. Propably 90% of all starter problems are due to bad connections or a bad battery. Check all your cables to be sure they are clean and tight. Look for signs of corrosion at the base of the lugs and if any noted replace the cable or the lug. They can corrode inside where you can't see it. Have your battery load tested regardless of age. Look for a plate on your transom mount for the serial no. If its missing look for a round welch plug on top of the motor.

cheers fella its not a merc it

cheers fella its not a merc its a mariner and i have done all the checks i was wondering if the aftermarket starter that someone has fitted is up to the job. but not having the original one or spec i cannot tell. thanks for the reply
regards gordon

"Gordon, your serial/model sho

"Gordon, your serial/model should be 663-318314.

That makes it a 1987 Yamaha built model. The 55's were practically an orphan the day they were produced.

I don't even have a cross reference back to the Yamaha model that they were a copy of.

The OEM starter and all of it's components are long discontinued but do have a cross ref to an Arco ARC-3424 starter. Just don't let your heart stop when you learn that they list for about $400 US, on our side of the big lake.

Is the rope start in decent shape?
"

Back