Logo

Mariner 9.9 outboard problems please help. Wasted $200 already

Hi!!! So I have a Mariner 9.9 outboard. It's a 1996 I'm pretty sure. It has already had a new carb kit put in it. But it still isn't running right. I can usually get it started right up. It'll run at full speed... Well anything over trolling speed. It'll even sit and run in neutral. But when I shift into drive it sputters and may or may not take off. But it will not stay running at trolling speed. I've already forked out $200 for a half ass job at fixing it and then another $150 bc they said it needed a carb kit..... HELP!! 😀

You'd think from what I was telling them what was wrong that a marina would've done those things. First guy said he fixed it by cleaning the carbs... Second was the marina....i explained what it was doing, you'd think they would check everything that you listed plus carbs. Someone said a fuel pump. I'm at my wits end with it.... You know you get out.... Beautiful day.... Great trolling weather and nooooooo not with my engine. Drives me nuts.

your motor runs at full throttle so it's not the fuel pump. Was carb removed, disassembled,soaked in carb cleaner,cleaned thoroughly and reassembled and rebuilt with a new carb kit? Is the fuel in tank fresh,old,? Was tank clean in beginning of season? Do you have a description of what was done in the shop that might help us here? Were carb adjustments done in forward gear on the water? Was this problem happening at beginning of summer or is this something new?

Last edited:
Hi! The shop said they installed a carb kit... It was about $40 + $85 labor and then checked the gear oil in the shaft and replaced . That's all they said. I even had them try it out with MY tank and gas hose before I left with it. I have a three gallon tank with new gas 50:1 oil ratio. It is 87 octane. Could that be the problem? There's also this knob on the front that is an idle dial. My old mariner didn't have that. It's also the choke....i don't choke it after it's been running and I try to keep the dial in the middle hoping that helps!! When I turn that down to slow it really doesn't want to run. Also I have noticed that the bulb isn't always firm..... Like when I pull the cord, it fires up... Then when I go to put it in gear, Itll start not wanting to run and then I'll pump the bulb and it runs smoother. And this has been happening all summer.

What does the spark plug look like,color of insulator? Has an open gap spark test been done on coil? IS timer base advancing with opening of throttle?

I have no idea but thank you for those ideas to give the shop. I'm far from a mechanic.... I'm just tired of messing with it and having to drive it to the marina and I can't lift it myself so it's just a pain but thank you cause maybe my bf can figure out a few of those things. ��

Back