Logo

Mariner 9.9 2 stroke carb service kit

edwards_gt

Wondering if anyone can help. I have a 2 stroke 9.9hp mariner 1989 I believe, engine number is :9540489
I need a general carb service kit, however there are 3 different ones listed. If anyone could point out which one I need ( possibly on brunswick marine) i would be most grateful.
thanks
S.Edwards

The three different kits represent the three different horsepowers that were built on the exact same platform.

Between 1986 and 1994 and a half the 6, 8 and 9.9 Mercs were about 99% "identical" mechanically.

The differences between the three horsepower's were determined by the guts in the carb and the exhaust plate.

So if you check the carb kit listings closely you will note one for each of the horsepower's.

The most current part number I have listed for the 9.9 is 1392-8846A24 (which superseded 1392-8846A14 if you find some old stock listed).

Don't get overly concerned with the carb model number. Every couple of years the number changed slightly and the 9.9 2 stroke was in production between 1986 and 2012 (outside the US - 2005'ish was about the last US domestic model sold).

There was a platform change in mid 1994 where the 9.9 began sharing the 15 horse powerhead, but otherwise, parts for ANY 9.9 built before that date will absolutely fit your particular model year.

I have an 86 and an 87 model 9.9 and they just may be the best small outboard built by any MFG in an all time ranking.

And Jeff is correct, at about 100 US bucks for a full blown kit, your heart may stop for a second :)

But given that could give your motor another 25 years of service before it needs that again, just think of it as "4 bucks a year" :)

All done, thanks to everyone for the help.
Turns out, the ball bearing from the primer unit was missing!
Engine runs great now! Just hoping for some good weather to take her out.

Haha, I think the kit cost me about £43 however i had to order the float seperatley which cost £25 with postage. I managed to buy a used gearbox for £75 and a new prop for £72. Add to that the cost of service parts and sundries I think i've spent about £300 ($450). But, it's running great, should get her out this weekend on the Anglesey coast.

Have been out on the boat. Doesn't seem to run so great. It dies when I give it any throttle. However If I pull the choke out I can get it to run ok. The fuel pipe and connectors seem to be really bad. Which size fuel line would I need, the 3/8 or the 5/16?

I would go with 3/8",better looking at than for it,plus I scared the living bejeasus out of my ever patient wife by having too small a bore on my fuel line after renewal.Nothing like giving an old '69 Merc800 full throttle and her threatening to die a mile or three in the north Atlantic to rise the heart rate:D:D

Back