Logo

Mariner 8hp carb rebuilt 1984

"hi,
i just rebuilt the carb.

"hi,
i just rebuilt the carb. I need to know how to adjust the mixture idling screw again.
I hear it is 1.5 turns. but if i only screw it 1.5 turns it seems very loose.
shall i go all the way in until it is very tight, and then back up 1.5 turn?
how tight all the other screws and jets should be screwed?
thanks
german"

"German, yes, your second assu

"German, yes, your second assumption is correct. Screw the all the jets in until they are "gently seated". Don't go too tight or you can harm them.

Then back your idle screw back out approx 1 1/2 turns and adjust in 1/8 turn increments from there when you have the motor running."

"Hi Graham,

thanks a lot,

"Hi Graham,

thanks a lot, I just tried the outboard and is working great.
strangely, the range in which i can turn the mixture idling screw is very wide, before i perceive any change in the performance of the motor.

now that the motor is finally working, i have another question.
I am using the outboard in a sailboat, so i usually turn using the boat's tiller. When i open up the throtle, let's say 1/4 of the maximum possible, and go back to the cockpit so i can steer with the boat's tiller, after a while (2-3 minutes) the throttle closes back again. I found out that there are only 3 stable positions on the throtles handle: idling, mid open, and full open. if the throtle is opened in between these positions the throttle handle will turn back to the next stable position. Is there anyway to tighten the throtle handle so it will be stable at any position? is it a charactersitic of this outboard or is it a problem?
I had a johnson outboard, which was stable at any given position.
thank you
german"

"German, this being an 84 mode

"German, this being an 84 model it must be a Yamaha built Mariner.

This model should have a friction adjustment screw on the tiller handle - so simply a matter of tightening it up a bit.

I will include a diagram below. The bolt is number 8 in the pic (kinda hidden under the handle itself)....

101083.png"" alt=""

"thanks again,
yes, it is a j

"thanks again,
yes, it is a japanese built mariner.
the tiller looks very similar, but i haven't seen the screw (8), it is possible that it is missing, but i guess it can be easly replaced.
compare to my previous johnson 6hp, the mariner seems to vibrate much more, is it normal due to the larger engine?

german"

"Yes, the screw could have vib

"Yes, the screw could have vibrated out, been taken out and lost etc - but yes, should be able to easily replace.

As to the vibration, perhaps a bit of "tweaking" on the carb can smooth it out somewhat (I have a 15 Mariner that is the smoothest running outboard I have ever seen). Although it could have alot to do with the design.

Starting in 86 Yami was making all the powerheads for the small Mercs/Mariners and obviously their own.

The 6/8/9.9 horse models all shared the same powerhead (12.8 cu. in.) and I have a pair of 9.9's. Both of them get the "shakes" when at idle for a while and continue that way up until about mid-throttle."

"hi,
strangely turning the mi

"hi,
strangely turning the mixture idling screw, even if i totally unscrew it until it becomes loose does not affect the motor at all (when in gear).
is this possible? the motor idles very nice.
thanks"

Back