Logo

Mariner 6hp Timing

consull

Hi.
Could someone let me know what the ignition timing for my 2005 Mariner 6hp 4 stroke (s/n 0P405280) is please. when I check it with timing light and turning engine with pull cord it is 5 degree before tdc but any info on internet says it should be 25 degrees. Engine stopped and seemed to seize but its free now but will not start since so trying to get to bottom of it. Thanks.
Kind regards
Con.

The timing on these is "fixed" at 25 BTDC - there is NO adjustment of any kind.

You can NOT check the timing using the rope start on this. You need to get the motor running at it's typical idle speed and then check the timing.

If it isn't 25 degrees while running then you have a component issue requiring troubleshooting and replacement of the bad part.

Since you can't get it to start, you need to go back to the basics here.

Confirm spark and compression.

Make sure it has fuel getting past the carb.

If you have compression, spark and fuel it WILL start - missing any one of them and she won't - it really is just that easy.

The tough parts is sometimes trying to figure out what is causing one or more of those to be missing from the equation.

Last edited:
Hi. Graham.

Thanks for quick reply and the information I needed. I will go at it again and see how it goes. Thanks again much appreciated.

Kind regards
Con

Back