Logo

mariner 60hp bigfoot 1990

grahamwms

hi all ive got a problem with my mariner 60hp bigfoot 3cylinder every now and again i could be cruising along at 30knots next thing the engine will bog down to about 15knots and wont go back to max speed. next day she runs fine for a bit then the same again. its been on the dyno for 60 minutes with no faults or problems showing.any body have any ideas many thanks graham. ps engine was fullly serviced prior to all this.

hi many thanks for your comments. would i be right and saying i dont have an alarm on my engine as i cannot hear any audiible alarm many thanks.

Then your alarm could be disconnected or not functioning, my father-in-law's bigfoot had the same limp mode issue, ended up being the oil level switch, it works with a magnet and you cannot replace it as it is built into it, you need a new oil reservoir, but that is not financially viable, we ended up bypassing it fixing the issue but then you need to make sure it uses oil.

hi thanks for the info i have ordered a new switch and i will take it from there first. was it hard to bypass the system many thanks

The magnet inside the oil tank is Surrounded by oil. If the oil penetrates the magnet or jells on top of it, the magnet will settle or stick to the bottom, tripping the sender. The magnet is located deep in the tank were you cannot see it or reach it so if the magnet is bad you just have to replace the tank. We just bridged the level switch. You can also test the connection of the switch with a multimeter for continuity. here is a video that might help ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2fqBDjPwpU ... just mute the sound as it is annoying haha.

Back