Logo

Mariner 55el Electric start issue

mack340

Hello

I am brand new to the forum and looking for a bit of advice in relation to my Mariner 55el 663 (mid 80s) outboard.

It was previously working very well on boat and when i removed onto a stand to restore the boat, however, on mounting back onto the boat and running ignition wiring harness to the helm it now won't start.

The wires to the key start are obviously old and I do plan to replace them at some point but i was hoping in the meantime to rectify the issue as is if possible.

So far I have figured out that as soon as the ignition key is turned nothing happens except that the fuse to the starter motor blows immediatley.

I disconnected the wiring from the ignition when fitting the outboard back to the boat and reconnected it as I thought it had been but no joy. (Should have taken a photo before doing so I know 🙄)

I was sure that the pink wire was attached to the yellow double yellow which but this caused the wire to overheat instantly and again blow the fuse

I have scoured the net looking for a wiring diagram but again no luck probably because the engine is a good age.

When it comes to electrics on outboards I have very little knowledge any advice would be great as I don't have anyone local to me with more knowledge.

Are you looking for a diagram for the ignition switch?
Red-----------------Red------- 12V +
Black---------------Black-------Ground
Violet (purple)------Yellow------12V Ign
Black/Yellow--------White-------Kill Circuit
Yellow/Red----------Brown------Start Circuit
Yellow/Black--------Blue---------Choke Circuit

Back