Logo

Mariner 55EL (663) - Help needed

taylor6632

Hi,

I've got a lovely 14' 1980's broom ski boat which i'm restoring. I'm fine doing the GRP work and interior but the engine is proving to be a bit of a pig with the wiring! It runs fine and had complete carb strip and rebuild, bit of rattle in top end but told its the normal sounds of an engine like this.

Anyway, I'm trying to get hold of a simple wiring diagram or a list of what color wires go to what! I want to install a tach (not the wrap around spark lead job, a proper one) so am trying to find the tacho wire. Had some info that suggests maybe grey or yellow or green. Both the grey and yellow are coming out of the CD ignition unit but neither head up the main loom to the control box. (I will add that boat never came with tacho so might not have been run up to control). The grey wire connects to one spark plug lead along with an orange wire to the other. The yellow wire heads of under the flywheel to what i assume is the charger circuit?

Any info would be amazing as i'm at a dead end now....

I would look into the rattle.----This is NOT normal for an outboard.

Ah right.......what do you reckon could cause it. Is 2 stroke so wrong mixture maybe in the past? I've not heard it myself, only the company that recently winterised it commented on it, however, the company that rebuilt the carbs never mentioned it and it was running sweet as a nut!

Ok, looking over that the colour should be green for the tacho. Traced the wires and green wires come from flywheel area to the rectifier, then up the main loom and not terminated. Would this be the charging wire then as can't see how the rectifier is linked to tacho in anyway......

Green is the signal to the tach.There will/should be a green wire coming from the control box which goes to the tach.The green wire back at the rectifier attaches to the rectifier.In the morning I'll take a pic and post where they should go.

Here's a pic of the rectifier.Two light green wires coming in from left are from stator,green wire out from the bottom is tach sig.Second pic are the three wires from control box to tach.Green again is tach sig,yellow 12v+ and black neg(-)

Attachments

• Photo0137.jpg
    Photo0137.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Photo0136.jpg
    Photo0136.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 70
Back